Thursday, January 27, 2005

A True Matty Damon Performance

I've come to the conclusion that my most anticipated moment outside of the house everyday is when I get to kick the hard slush off of my car. While it isn't necessary and, with my driving, will most likely fly off, I choose to take this liberty. We have a loose flap under the driver's seat so lots of slushy goodness gets stuck in there. When I was a kid I loved kicking the slush off, but the real treat were knocking off the icicles on the bumper. There's been a real lack of frozen targets on the bumper this year, but that is no matter because I still have my 7 footer at work, hanging off the rain gutter.

While I'm indoors, I can't seem to get enough of NHL 2003. I bought this game last year 1 week after the Leafs were eliminated in the playoffs. In no way am I a hockey fan. The only time I have ever been into hockey was when I was in a fantasy pool, and my only reason for watching was so I could humiliate my hockey playing friends. I played NHL until I got really bored with it. My season wasn't over I still had 2 or 3 months left, but I persevered to the All-Star game. It's still a delight to see my regular season starting line to be chosen by the computer as the 5 best players in the entire game. My season hasn't been as lopsided as the Blue Jays 124-4 baseball season a la Ken Griffey Jr.'s Slugfest, but most games are a walk in the park. Naturally, the difficulty was set at All-Star and I lost the first 7 games until I got my deke move perfected. Now, I haven't played a game where I've scored less than 6 goals. I only lose when the score is 13-12 or an OL at 8-8.

I got back into it a few weeks ago, and after scraping the rust off, I'm back! Last night I trounced the Islanders 19-4 before heading into my fifth last game. Every member of my starting line as broken almost every offensive record, and I've set so many "-hundreth" milestones that I don't care anymore. I don't control the statistics board like I did in Griffey though. Sundin has scored over 250 goals, but McCabe has only scored 123. The last few days have been intense because I've been playing to see that "Clinched Playoff Spot" marker. Now that I've clinched the division title too, only Dallas stands in my way from finishing in the #1 spot. We're neck and neck right now, which is really exciting because I can't remember the last time a sports game gave my grief. My own milestone would be that I cannot guarantee that I will win the Cup.

#30 Steve Massey, who plays left wing for the Leafs, is currently sitting in the #2 scoring position, and hasn't lost a single fight during the season.

No comments: