Monday, January 17, 2005

"Congratulations.......Natalie!"

Well I watched most of the Golden Globes. They were weird. It seemed that throughout the entire night there was something amiss. Williams looked like he didn't want to be there, and Shatner seemed really pissed that they stuck him next to the coat check. It just seemed like everyone didn't want to do this. That they were promised a dinner without cameras but were double-crossed. The night was full of surprises though. The Eternal crew, bandaged and bleeding, stumbled out with nothing more than a mispronounced name. Paul Giamatti got his wish and didn't win for his least favourtite movie. The real treats this night were the first two awards. I was extremely excited to see my boy Clive finally getting some of the recognition he deserves. Every since I watched Croupier, I've followed Mr. Owen through Greenfingers, Gosford Park and the BMW films (Star being my favourite).


My vote for Bond.

Portman got the nod, and I suddenly noticed something about the crowd. Back when I realized my love for movies, all of those older, respectable actors are now on life support. They're all clinging to their last few dyed hairs, while the teen actors are now pushing into the limelight. Leo, Foxx and Portman didn't feel like they should have won, because in my mind there still: Poster boy for Teen Beat, The Non-Wayan black guy from In Living Color and the cute teen girl. I guess this is how the system works but I guess it seemed like a shocker with my perception of the show last night.

Does everyone have to thank the Hollywood Foreign Press for fear of nose-diving their career?

Tonight I will be glued to the TV set because Corner Gas has moved from Tuesday. While I enjoy the show every week, tonight will be extra special because it's all about curling. I loathe the sport. I want to smack every curler on the top of the head with their fancy little brooms, yet I can't get enough. I used to think liking JT was a sin, but now it's curling.

Until then I am going to try and regroup after my sleep-deprived weekend. Friday I stayed up til 7am playing poker with Shane and got tanked. Had breakfast with my Mom at Zellers, still slightly drunk. Slept for 3 hours then went to work for 6pm. Got off work at midnight, went to a friend's house and tripped at a RHCP dvd for 2 hours. Then came home for 3am, slept til 11:15, then drove to work for 11:30. When I got off at 6, I was beat but after eating an unhealthy amount of candy and fudge mixed with coke, I was up til 3am.

Today I watch the Matrix Revolutions critic's commentary to finish off the trilogy. I'm hoping that they will comment on the stuff that I want them to talk about. When Neo stopped the sentinels, I was expecting some good chat, but instead they weren't watching and were saying something about the sad disappearance of film noir from today's cinema, which brings me to my final point. I think that everyone should just make their own commentaries on the films they love, and give them to their friends to listen to. I would rather hear a friend point out all of their favourite moments and references. This could be another possiblity of how to waste my time after I finish with my Matrix Pop-Up Video.

"You can't just fire your gun off willy-nilly!"

"It wasn't willy-nilly. It was at crows."

No comments: